My latest Rocking Runner of the Week is an awesome young lady with a big heart. She’s part of the great Fleet Feet Savannah Crew. Personally, she has helped me pick out the right shoes for my running and was a great resource as I delved into world of organizing races.
This young lady is unafraid to speak her mind, is very friendly and eager to help and, has a baby piglet with pink nail-polished hooves. How cool is that?!
Without further adieu let me introduce you to the latest Rocking Runner of the Week!
- Name: Hillary FitzHugh
- How long have you been running? I remember running my first race when i was about 8 then picked it up big time in middle school.
- What brought you to running? I like the idea of only having myself to hold responsible if I fail or don’t meet my goal.
- What do you get from running? I get to clear my head and relax!
- What kind of runner are you (5k demon, 10k psycho, half marathon madman/woman, marathon zombie, ultra-nutjob, make up your own description)?
I like to run a little bit of everything. I’m not sure I have a favorite. I just like to run. And, to be quite honest, I am not the best at training. I kinda just go out there an run.
- Are you a trail runner or road runner? I like both…what ever is the next race on the list is what i gear up for.
- Do you race? YES
- Favorite race? I don’t like to do the same race twice so I’m not sure that I have a favorite. My favorite would have to be my very 1st ultra, bad marsh. I finished before the 8 hour cut off and that was my goal.
- If you could run any race in the whole world which would it be and why? Western States, DUH. I would like to run it and finish before the cut off just to say i did it!! And, maybe be fast enough for Boston one day.
- How many times do you run per week and what is your weekly mileage average? I run 1-3 times a week and sometimes 0 times a week. I run because I love it and I’m lucky enough for running to be my job as well. So I try not to go over board and just do what I feel like.
- Do you have any specific running goal? To one day win my age group in a race.
- What is a running milestone of yours? Finishing my 1st ultra. WOW, what a great feeling!
- Do you have any training tips you would like to share? As runners we are very stubborn …. LISTEN to your body and don’t over do it. You will have a better race.
- Please name three inspirational runners to you and why they are inspirational (they can be famous, family, friends).
- Chris Ramsey, he’s fast and furious (enough said).
- Melissa Hodge, she is dedicated and very driven. She doesn’t let much get in the way of her training.
- Robert Espinoza, he’s getting old but man he’s fast and he never leaves his wing man. (and he wont get mad i said he’s old).
Famous people are hard to look up to cuz i feel like they always have these outrageous stories. I like just regular people.
- Any favorite quote that lends itself to your running and/or philosophy on life? Please share. The 6 “P”s: prior planning prevents piss poor performance. Stick to it and you will have a good race.
- Is there anything else that you would like to share? Running in my eyes, is meant to be fun and enjoyable. You don’t have to make it not fun if you miss a day of training. Don’t pout about it just relax and go on to the next day. I mean, let’s be real, – we are not going to the Olympics.
There you go, – our Rocking Runner of the Week!
She’s an awesome young lady with a big heart and, always looking to help anyone with their running whether it’s in shoe selection, training, injury prevention, etc.
I am happy to hear that she will be running Bad Marsh this year as I, too, am running that fun ultra. Looking forward to running a few laps with her.
When you stop by Fleet Feet Savannah be sure to say hello to Hillary and call her “RR” (Rocking Runner ;)!
Also, don’t forget to say hello to her little pig that roams the store when Hillary is working. Enough said.
Thanks for stopping by.
All the best.